Expedition Alaska Gear List
We are working very hard to be as creative as possible to bring you the most epic expedition race anyone has ever seen and still keep it safe for all competitors in the unforgiving terrain that Alaska offers. It took us some time to develop the gear list based on our permissions from the Forest Service and the activities you will experience during this incredible journey. The link above is the first draft of the required gear list, however, some small changes may be updated as we get closer to the event. More information will be emailed to you as it develops and is available on our website.
Places to rent Paddle gear in Anchorage:
Places to rent Bikes in Anchorage: Book early because of limited inventory.
Tips about the gear list from race director Jeff Leininger.
1. Get a very good lightweight packraft. Strong and light because your team will be carrying this many times and for long distances. There will be pack raft opportunities during this race than any other event before.
2. Good gloves to be worn during any bushwhacking in Alaska. The best is leather because of the Devil's Cub everywhere.
3. I love single-track MTB trails, and you will be doing many miles of this, so make sure your bikes are in perfect condition before the trip out. Backup spare parts. If your bike fails during a long section it will be the longest "push a bike" you'll ever complete.
4. When renting or purchasing a drysuit, also think about wearing other than just paddling. May racers hiked with it because they were cold and wet. Keep it lightweight.
5. Packweight will be the "kicker" during this race. Buy lightweight items and keep your pack weight down.